Monday, November 19, 2007

When faced with a difficult situation...

As I looked back over my shoulders the past thirty-four years of my life, well let's take away the first six years of my life since I was only a little boy, I realised that character cannot change, and no matter how much cultural brainwashing, schooling indoctrination, religious conversions, pressures to conform to society to friends and family, one's own character cannot change. Like the Chinese proverb that says "A leopard cannot change it spots", so does our character.
Let me explain why based on my personal experience. When I was a child, I was afraid of disappointing others, and I was afraid of being alone. Since young, I am always friendly, fair and understanding. Three things always come to my mind when I face with a difficult situation, i.e. either I can face it, run away from it or be indifferent. Again, my character is one that always told me to look at the problem in the eye, and think why the problem occurred. Most often than not, it has to be somebody's doing that caused the problem. But because of my other character traits to be kind, friendly and understanding, I am reluctant to bring up the problem to that particular person's attention, worried that I might jeopardise our kinship or even friendship.
And I cannot change, as I have been born to be like this, and I am very comfortable with it. So no matter how I face the problem, I am always very considerate about the person's feelings. But if this were to go on, I don't think I can ever solve any problems in my life. But I did, and have always solve problems that came along. So how do I face the problems, I will take over and do it myself and get it done. =)

No comments: